How to check streaming quality & add settings menu in PS remote play?
What is Remote Play?
Remote Play is an app that lets you mirror and play your PlayStation 5 or 4 remotely. It’s especially useful when you’re out of the house or away on vacation but still want to sneak in some game time. Simply download and set up PS Remote Play to gain remote access to your console using a phone, PC or tablet. Optionally, once everything is set up, you can connect a PS5 Dual Sense controller or PS4 Dual Shock controller to increase precision and immersion.
Note! You can’t use Remote Play on your mobile device’s mobile data network. A high-speed Wi-Fi network is required.
How to improve Remote Play streaming quality
Remote Play works best when your PlayStation is connected to a network with strong latency. In this case, latency refers to the time it takes for data to transfer between its source (router) and its destination (console).
If you experience reduced streaming quality, follow the steps below.
Test your network speed
1. Perform a network speed test on your device. The minimum required connection speed for Remote Play is 5 Mbps for both upload and download.
To perform a network speed test
2. Other devices on your network might be using a large amount of bandwidth, e.g. when downloading content. Wait until they're idle before using Remote Play.
3. If your connection speed is low (below 5 Mbps), reduced streaming quality may be due to the network environment. We advise you to contact your Internet service provider to resolve this issue.
Use an Ethernet cable
An Ethernet cable is the fastest and most reliable way to connect your PlayStation to your home network. Ethernet gives you lower latency compared to Wi-Fi®. Keep in mind that a low internet connection speed decreases the effectiveness of the Ethernet cable, just like it decreases the effectiveness of Wi-Fi.
You can plug in the Ethernet cable from your Wi-Fi router directly into the back of your console.
Try to lower the Remote Play video quality
Test whether a lower video quality output improves streaming quality. Higher video quality requires faster internet speed to enjoy a seamless gaming experience. If your internet speed is low, follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings section on the Remote Play app homepage.
- Select Video Quality for Remote Play.
- Set Resolution to Standard (540p) or Low (360p), and Frame Rate to Standard.
Note: For PS5 and PS4 Pro, you might not see it in the setting menu, but up to 1080p resolution will be set automatically depending on your network connection quality.