How do I set up an Xperia device and a PS5/ PS4 for Remote Play?
- Android 12
- Android 13
Information / Solution
Setting up PS5™/ PS4™ Remote Play on the Xperia™ device
PS Remote Play is a feature that allows you to use your smartphone as a display for your PlayStation®5 and PlayStation®4. This way you do not depend on TV availability and can play anywhere in your home.
To set up PS4 Remote Play on your Xperia device and get it working with your PS5™ and PS4™, a number of steps must be followed. Below is a general outline of the steps you must follow. You'll then find more detailed instructions about each step further down the page.
To use PS Remote Play you need
- An Xperia phone or tablet supporting PS Remote Play.
- A PlayStation®5 or PlayStation®4
- A DUALSENSE™ controller or DUALSHOCK™4 controller.
- A Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) connection.
- A home Wi-Fi® network supporting Wi-Fi® DLNA.
Your PlayStation®5 or PlayStation®4 and your Xperia phone or tablet need to be connected to the same home Wi-Fi™ network to use PS Remote Play.
Note! Some games may not support this feature.
To set up PS4™ Remote Play on the Xperia device
- Xperia device: Download and install PS4 Remote Play from Google Play™. PS4 Remote Play has been available since November 2014, but the app may not be available in all countries or regions and may not be supported by all networks and service providers in all areas.
- PS4™: Update the PS4™ software to version 2.0 or later. The availability of software updates depends on your country/region and/or operator.
- Xperia device & PS5™/ PS4™: Sign into PlayStation® Network (PSN) with your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account on the PS5™/ PS4™ and the Xperia device. Make sure that you are connected to the same Wi-Fi® network.
- PS5™/ PS4™: Pair the PS5™/ PS4™ with the Xperia device.
You can connect the DUALSENSE or DUALSHOCK™4 controller with the Xperia device or use the on-screen controller (touch screen) to play games. The on-screen controller is not intended for full game play. Instead, it provides a simple and easy operation as a secondary input method. We recommend using the DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™4 controller.
Note! To ensure a complete PS5™/ PS4™ gaming experience, use the DUALSENSE™ / DUALSHOCK™4 controller which is the only control device that fully supports PS4 Remote Play on Xperia devices.
Pairing your PS5™/ PS4™ with the Xperia device
If the PS5™/ PS4™ that you are using is not activated as your primary PS5™/ PS4™ device, you must pair it manually with your Xperia device.
To perform manual pairing
- Connect the PS5™/ PS4™ and the Xperia device to the same Wi-Fi® network.
- Sign in to PSN with your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account on both the PS5™/ PS4™ and the Xperia device.
- PS5™/ PS4™: Select Settings > Remote Play Connection Settings > Add Device to display the registration code for device pairing.
- Xperia device: Find and tap PS4 Remote Play.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and enter the registration code displayed on the PS5™/ PS4™.
Connecting the Xperia device with DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™4 controller
Once you've manually paired the PS5™/ PS4™ console with your Xperia device, you then need to establish a connection between the Xperia device with the wireless DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™ 4 controller using Bluetooth® technology.
To connect the Xperia device with the DUALSENSETM/ DUALSHOCK™4 controller
- DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™4: Make sure that the DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™4 is powered off (no light bar). If it's on, press and hold the PS button until the controller is powered off.
- Xperia device:
- Android 12, Android 13: Find and tap Settings → Device connection → Connection preferences → Wireless controller for PS5 and PS4 → PAIR NEW CONTROLLER.
- DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™4: Press and hold the SHARE button and the PS button until the light bar starts to flash white.
- Xperia device: Follow the on-screen instructions to complete connecting the devices.
Enhancing the gaming experience
You can enhance your PS4 Remote Play gaming experience by enabling the vibration feature on your DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™ 4 controller.
To enable vibration on the DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™4 controller
- PS5™/ PS4™: Select Settings > Devices > Controllers > Enable Vibration.
Note! If Enable Vibration is set as OFF, the controller does not vibrate even if the vibrate function is set to ON in the game that you are playing.
Connecting or reconnecting the DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™4 controller with the PS5™/ PS4™ or Xperia device
To reconnect the PS4™ with the DUALSHOCK™4 controller
- Connect the DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™4 controller to the PS5™/ PS4™ device with the USB cable.
To reconnect the Xperia device to the DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™4 controller
Connect the Xperia device with the DUALSENSE™/ DUALSHOCK™4 controller again.
Compatibility with PS5™
- Xperia 1 III
- Xperia 5 III
- Xperia 1 IV
- Xperia 5 IV
- Xperia PRO-I
Compatibility with PS4™
Please refer to How do I set up an Xperia device and a PS4 for Remote Play?