About this download
Thank you for your continued interest in Sony products.
Sony is always concerned about customer satisfaction and therefore is offering a software upgrade program for Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera NEX-5.
Improvements after firmware upgrade
- To be compatible with Mount Adaptor LA-EA2.
Note: While using LA-EA2, Face Detection, Smile Shutter does not work.
Click here for more details about benefits provided by firmware version 05.
Benefits provided by previous upgrade program (Ver.04) and included in version 05.
- Addition of the Picture Effect function.
- Addition of the Peaking function in manual focus mode.
Benefits provided by previous upgrade program (Ver.03) and included in version 04.
- Addition of the function to customize soft keys.
It is now possible to customise the functions of two soft keys mounted on the camera's rear panel.
- Addition of the Menu start function.
When 'Menu' is selected, there is now the option to display either the main menu screen or the last parameter set.
- Improvement of the operability of the MF Assist function
An enlarged image portion can now be displayed on screen with user-selectable duration while in MF (Manual Focus) Assist mode. MF Assist operation has also been improved.
- Improvement of the operability of menu item selection
The menu operation has been simplified.
- Maintaining the aperture setting in the movie recording mode
HD video can now be shot while maintaining a constant aperture setting.
- Support for the autofocus function with A-mount lenses
Important note: If you use α lenses in combination with your camera using the LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor, please update the LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor. Click here to access LA-EA1 Firmware Upgrade Ver.02 With NEX-3 / NEX-5 / NEX-C3 (Microsoft Windows).
- Enlarging the image when Release w/o Lens is set to Enable.
Benefits provided by previous upgrade program (Ver.02) and included in version 04.
- 3D Sweep Panorama function has been added.
- Improvement of 'normal' 2D Sweep Panorama shooting.
- Decreased power drain when the camera is switched off.
- Quicker start-up in low-light conditions.
Applicable firmware version
Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera NEX-5 with firmware version Ver.04 or earlier.
How to check the firmware version
- Select Menu → Setup → Version on the camera.
- The firmware version is displayed. If your firmware version is Ver.05 or later, the upgrade is not required.
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Vista* SP2
- Windows XP** SP3
* Starter edition is not supported.
** 64-bit and Starter editions are not supported.
Other system requirements
- CPU: Intel processor
- Hard disk space: 200MB or more
- RAM: 512MB or more
* Please close all other application software before upgrading the firmware.
- USB cable supplied with the camera
- Power source for the camera
Fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50 or AC adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately)
Note: The upgrade can be performed only when the remaining battery level is(three marks) or more. We recommend that you use a fully charged battery or the AC adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately).
File name: NEX-5V5_Update1112a.exe
File size: 63.5MB (66 670 224 bytes)
Updated on: 15th December 2011
- NEX-5 Firmware Upgrade Ver.05 (Microsoft Windows)
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- When performing the firmware upgrade, please use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50 or the AC adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately).
- Do not remove the battery or AC adaptor during the upgrade; otherwise, the camera may become inoperable due to the sudden power shutdown.
- Remove the memory card from the camera beforehand.
Start Firmware Updater
- Double-click NEX-5V5_Update1112a.exe to start up Firmware Updater.
- Check the USB connection mode
Select Menu → Setup → USB Connection on the camera, and confirm Mass Storage is selected. If the mode other than Mass Storage is selected, please select Mass Storage.
- Connect the camera to the computer with the supplied USB cable.
Note: When the camera is connected to the computer, the LCD screen of the camera turns off. Please proceed to the next step.
- Confirm is displayed on the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen.
- After confirming the above, click Next on Firmware Updater.
Figure 4 appears on Firmware Updater and Figure 5 appears on the LCD screen of the camera.
Figure 4: Firmware Updater
Figure 5: Camera’s LCD screen
Note: From this step onwards, never turn off the camera until the firmware upgrade is completed.
- After confirming the screens on Figures 4 and 5, click Next. The current version and the version after the upgrade appear on the lower left part of the screen.
Figure 6: Upgrade is required
If the screen on Figure 7 appears, the upgrade is not required. According to the message, stop the USB connection and click Finish. Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn on the camera again.
Figure 7: Upgrade is not required
- Click on the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen to stop the USB connection.
Note: Please keep the USB cable connected even after stopping the USB connection on the computer with the above operation.
- Press the center of the control wheel to reset the camera.
Figure 9: Camera’s LCD screen
Figure 10: Camera control wheel
Note: The screen turns off when the center of the control wheel is pressed. Please proceed to the next step.
- Click Next on Firmware Updater
- After resetting, reconnection of the camera is verified, and the screen on Figure 11 appears.
- Click Run to start the upgrade. The progress bar appears while upgrading (approximately 5 minutes).
Note: Never turn off the camera nor disconnect the USB cable while upgrading.
- When the upgrade is completed, the screen on Figure 12 appears. Click Finish and disconnect the USB cable.
- Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn on the camera again.
Check the firmware version
- Select Menu → Setup → Version on the camera.
- The firmware version is displayed. The firmware upgrade was completed successfully if Ver.05 is displayed.
The new functions provided by this firmware upgrade and their respective operations are described in below instruction manual links.