Can I download apps?
How can I watch other streaming services on my TV when I don’t have access to the Google Playstore?
My apps have disappeared, or I cannot connect to a service
I still have issues. What else can I do?
Your TV can access a multitude of features and services in the form of applications (or apps).
Many companies create TV apps such as games, movies, news, social networks and more.
Your TV will have certain apps pre-installed; however, you may be able to install new apps from the Google Play Store, depending on your model.
First, you should check whether you have an Android TV or a non-Android TV. Here is a guide you can use to distinguish between the two. Unfortunately, only Android TVs can download new apps. Other TVs have pre-installed apps, or apps that are added/or removed from the system on the server.
There are a few ways of watching certain streaming apps on your TV if you don’t have access to the Google Play Store. You can connect a laptop, streaming device or gaming console to your TV.
No need to worry. Depending on the situation; you should try the steps below:
The service might be terminated
Occasionally, apps are terminated or removed from the system. If an app is missing, go to the Sony support website or the app developer’s website and see whether an announcement has been published.
The service might be temporarily down
If the app is unavailable, doesn’t launch or crashes, we recommend the following.
(NOTE: Check if the issue is resolved after each step.)
- Check your internet connection
- Check our support site or the app developer’s website and see whether an announcement has been published. Here’s a link to the most popular services.
TIP: If there is a network error code, try looking at this article with the most common error codes and the solutions
- Try [Refresh Internet Content]
- Press the [HOME] button, then select [Settings]
- Select [Network or Network Setup]
- Select [Refresh Internet Content]
- Perform a Power reset: Un-plug the TV power cord for 30 seconds and plug back in
- Initialise the browser settings and delete all cookies
(Applicable for W9xxA, W8xxA, W7xxA, W6xxA, X90xxA, X85xxA, X95xxB, X90xxB, X85xxB, W9xxB, W8xxB, W7xxB, W6xxB and W750C Series only) 3
- Launch the browser from the [App] menu
- Select [Options]
- Select [Browser Settings]
- Select [Delete all Cookies]
- Initialise the TV personal information:
(Applicable for W62E, W67E, W75E, X70E, X72E, W77E, W61E, W66E, X67E, X69E, X72F, W61, W66 Series only) 4
- Select [HOME] > [Settings]
- Select [Customer Support]
- Select [Initialize Personal Information]
- Select [OK]
- Perform a TV software update
- Perform a factory reset 5
Things to keep in mind:
3, 4 Unsure which TV series your model belongs to? Here are some examples:
5 Be aware that if you perform a factory reset, you will reset the video calibration settings of the TV.
The app might need an update
Some apps are updated by the app developer and might not be compatible with your TV anymore, unless you update the app (via the Google Play Store), install the latest TV firmware or both.
Non-Android TVs have pre-installed apps, or apps that are added/or removed from the system on the server. For the latest apps, please perform a TV software update.
NOTE: Third-party apps are updated according to the app developer’s schedule/discretion.
If you still have problems with your apps, we suggest looking at our frequently asked questions (FAQs). Go to your product page, on our support site, and type in your query in the search bar. Alternatively, you can download the Support by Sony smartphone app to receive instant notifications.