IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
IMPORTANT: This page introduces compatible information regarding USB HDD drives for Sony's Android TV.
- For X74H / X75H series, refer to: What types of USB HDDs (hard disk drives) are compatible with Android TV (X74H / X75H series)?
- For a BRAVIA TV other than an Android TV, refer to: What types of USB HDDs are compatible with my TV (other than Android TV)?
USB HDDs that can be used with Sony’s Android TVs must meet the following conditions. However, Sony does not guarantee that they will operate. Use them at your own risk.
IMPORTANT for Australia and New Zealand only: Android TV models released in 2018 and later, are not compatible for USB HDD recording.
Supported file system and maximum drive size:
|Max hard disk drive size for playback|
|Max hard disk drive size for recording (*1)||Max hard disk drive size for storage (*2)|
|FAT32||2TB (*3)||4TB (*4)||256GB|
*1: The USB HDD must be registered to the Android TV for recording (to be formatted for recording). Applicable only for Australia and New Zealand Android TV models that support USB HDD recording.
*2: The USB HDD must be registered to the Android TV as device storage (to be formatted for storage). This function is available in Android™ OS6 (M) or later.
- For Android OS6 (M), use a USB HDD that is 256 GB or smaller.
- For Android OS7 (N) or later, you can use a USB HDD that is 256 GB or larger, but the usable capacity is restricted to 256 GB.
*3: The maximum size of a content file that can be saved in the USB HDD is restricted to 4 GB.
*4: A USB HDD up to 16 TB can be connected, but the usable capacity is restricted to 4 TB.
NOTE: Some USB HDDs cannot be used for recording purposes.
Example: USB HDDs with capacities that are too small (less than 32 GB) cannot be used for recording purposes.
- RPM: No condition
- Read/Write speed: No condition
- USB port types and maximum output (current):
- USB3.1 Gen 1 port: 900 mA MAX. The port is blue.
- USB2.0 port: 500 mA MAX or 800 mA MAX. For the maximum output of each port, refer to the labels at the back of the TV or the manual.
NOTE: When recording, connect to the port labeled HDD REC.
USB port: Max output (current) TV label example Port image USB3.1 Gen 1 port:
900 mA MAX
USB 2.0 port:
500mA MAX, 800mA MAX