Information / Solution
Setting up PS4™ Remote Play on the Xperia™ device
PS Remote Play is a feature that allows you to use your smartphone as a display for your PlayStation® 4. This way you do not depend on TV availability and can play anywhere in your home.
To set up PS4 Remote Play on your Xperia device and get it working with your PS4™, a number of steps must be followed. Below is a general outline of the steps you must follow. You'll then find more detailed instructions about each step further down the page.
Note! If you're using Xperia Z3 T-Mobile (D6616), you cannot the use the Remote Play feature together with the new DUALSHOCK™4 controller (CUH-ZCT2).
To use PS Remote Play you need
- An Xperia phone or tablet supporting PS Remote Play.
- A PlayStation® 4.
- A DualShock 4 controller.
- A Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) connection.
- A home Wi-Fi® network supporting Wi-Fi® DLNA.
Your PlayStation® 4 and your Xperia phone or tablet need to be connected to the same home Wi-Fi™ network to use PS Remote Play.
Note! Some games may not support this feature.
To set up PS4™ Remote Play on the Xperia device
- Xperia device: Download and install PS4 Remote Play from Google Play™. PS4 Remote Play has been available since November 2014, but the app may not be available in all countries or regions and may not be supported by all networks and service providers in all areas.
- PS4™: Update the PS4™ software to version 2.0 or later. The availability of software updates depends on your country and/or operator.
- Xperia device & PS4™: Sign in to PlayStation® Network (PSN) with your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account on the PS4™ and the Xperia device. Make sure that you are connected to the same Wi-Fi® network.
- PS4™: Pair the PS4™ with the Xperia device.
You can connect the DUALSHOCK™4 controller with the Xperia device or use the on-screen controller (touch screen) to play games. The on-screen controller is not intended for full game play. Instead it provides simple and easy operation as a secondary input method. We recommend to use the DUALSHOCK™4 controller.
Note! To ensure a complete PS4™ gaming experience, use the DUALSHOCK™4 controller which is the only control device that fully supports PS4 Remote Play on Xperia devices.
Pairing your PS4™ with the Xperia device
If the PS4™ that you are using is not activated as your primary PS4™ device, you must pair it manually with your Xperia device.
To perform manual pairing
- Connect the PS4™ and the Xperia device to the same Wi-Fi® network.
- Sign in to PSN with your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account on both the PS4™ and the Xperia device.
- PS4™: Select Settings > Remote Play Connection Settings > Add Device to display the registration code for device paring.
- Xperia device: Find and tap PlayStation > Connect to PS4 > PS4 Remote Play.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and enter the registration code displayed on the PS4™.
Connecting the Xperia device with DUALSHOCK™4 controller
Once you've manually paired the PS4™ console with your Xperia device, you then need to establish a connection between the Xperia device with the wireless DUALSHOCK™ 4 controller using Bluetooth® technology.
To connect the Xperia device with the DUALSHOCK™4 controller
- DUALSHOCK™4: Make sure that the DUALSHOCK™4 is powered off (no light bar). If it's on, press and hold the PS button until the controller is powered off.
- Xperia device:
- Android 9 / 10: Find and tap Settings > Device connection > Connection preferences > DUALSHOCK™4 > Pair controller.
- Android 8.0 / 7.x / 6.x: Find and tap Settings > Device connection > DUALSHOCK™4 > Pair controller.
- Android 5.x: Find and tap Settings > Xperia™ Connectivity > DUALSHOCK™4 > Pair controller.
- DUALSHOCK™4: Press and hold the SHARE button and the PS button until the light bar starts to flash white.
- Xperia device: Follow the on-screen instructions to complete connecting the devices.
Enhancing the gaming experience
You can enhance your PS4 Remote Play gaming experience by enabling the vibration feature on your DUALSHOCK™ 4 controller.
To enable vibration on the DUALSHOCK™4 controller
- PS4™: Select Settings > Devices > Controllers > Enable Vibration.
Note! If Enable Vibration is set as OFF, the controller do not vibrate even if the vibrate function is set to ON in the game that you are playing.
Connecting or reconnecting the DUALSHOCK™4 controller with the PS4™ or Xperia device
To reconnect the PS4™ with the DUALSHOCK™4 controller
- Connect the DUALSHOCK™4 controller to the PS4™ device with the USB cable.
To reconnect the Xperia device to the DUALSHOCK™4 controller
- Connect the Xperia device with the DUALSHOCK™4 controller again.
- Xperia 5 II Dual SIM
- Xperia 1 II / Xperia 1 II Dual SIM
- Xperia 5 / Xperia 5 Dual SIM
- Xperia 1 / Xperia 1 Dual SIM
- Xperia XZ3 / XZ3 Dual SIM
- Xperia XZ2 Compact / XZ2 Compact Dual SIM
- Xperia XZ2 / XZ2 Dual SIM
- Xperia XZ2 Premium / XZ2 Premium Dual SIM
- Xperia XZ1 Compact
- Xperia XZ1 / XZ1 Dual SIM
- Xperia XZ Premium / XZ Premium Dual SIM
- Xperia XZs / XZs Dual SIM
- Xperia XZ / XZ Dual SIM
- Xperia X Compact
- Xperia X / X Dual SIM
- Xperia X Performance / X Performance Dual SIM
- Xperia Z5 Premium / Z5 Premium Dual
- Xperia Z5 / Z5 Dual
- Xperia Z5 Compact
- Xperia Z3+ / Z3+ Dual
- Xperia Z4 Tablet
- Xperia Z3 / Z3 Dual
- Xperia Z3 Compact
- Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact
- Xperia Z3v
- Xperia Z2
- Xperia Z2 Tablet
Note! If you're using Xperia Z3 T-Mobile (D6616), you cannot use the Remote Play feature together with the new DUALSHOCK™4 controller (CUH-ZCT2).