The zoom feature of the camera provides a higher magnification zoom by combining various zoom features. You can use other zoom features when you set the Zoom Setting to something other than the Optical zoom only.
Depending on the type of lens used, the Zoom function can be called up differently.
- When using Powered zoom lenses - the Zoom function can be called up by sliding the zoom lever on the lens.
- When using Manual zoom lenses and Prime lenses - the Zoom function can be called up by going through the Menu and under the Camera Settings or by assigning the Zoom function to one of the customizable buttons. The assigned button must be pressed each time the Zoom function will be used
The icon displayed on the Zoom Bar changes, according to the selected zoom range.
- Optical Zoom range - Zoom images in the zoom range of the lens mounted.
- Smart Zoom range - Zoom images without causing the original quality to deteriorate by partially cropping an image (available only when Image size is set to [M] or [S]).
- Clear Image Zoom range - Zoom images using an image process with less deterioration. To use this feature, set the Zoom Setting to Clear Image Zoom On or Digital Image Zoom On first.
- Digital Zoom range- Magnify images using digital signal or image process. Image quality deteriorates as the magnification increases. To use this feature, set the Zoom Setting to Digital Image Zoom on first.
- The default setting for the Zoom Setting is Optical zoom only.
- The default setting for Image Size] is [L]. To use the smart zoom change Image Size to [M] or [S].
- Zoom functions other than the optical zoom are not available when shooting in the following situations:
- Sweep Panorama
- Smile/Face Detect. is set to Smile Shutter
- Quality is set to RAW or RAW & JPEG
- Record Setting is set to 120p 50M/100p 50M
- You cannot use the Smart Zoom function with movies.
- When a power zoom lens is mounted, you cannot use Zoom under MENU. If you enlarge image past the optical zoom range, the product automatically switches to another Zoom function than the optical zoom.
- When you use a Zoom function other than the optical zoom, Metering Mode is fixed to Multi.
- When you use another zoom function than the optical zoom, the following functions are not available:
- Face Detection
- Lock-on AF
- Auto Obj. Framing