Follow these steps to prevent a program from loading automatically when the computer is started using the Task Manager utility.
WARNING: Because some applications are critical to the startup process, disabling them using the Task Manager utility could cause system instability.
- Press the Windows Logo + X key combination on the keyboard and, from the list, click Task Manager.
- You can also access the Task Manager by pressing the CTRL+ALT+DELETE key combination on the keyboard and clicking the Task Manager option.
- Whatever way you access the Task Manager, because it is a traditional Windows Desktop application, if you were not already there, the interface will change to the Desktop and the Task Manager window will open.
- In the Task Manager window, click the Startup tab.
- On the Startup tab, click the application you wish to prevent from loading automatically and then click the Disable button.
- If there is a problem when the computer starts, an application listed in the Startup impact column as High or Medium is more likely to be the reason for the problem than those listed as Low, Not Measured or None.
- If the application has already been disabled, there will be an Enable button instead of a Disable button.
- You can also right-click an application to see additional options for that application.