About this download
This page provides instructions on how to update the system software for camera ILCE-5100 to version 3.10.
Benefits of Update:
- The system software update for optimizing the new lenses performance.
(Applyed to the lenses releasing after 2016 March)
Benefits provided from previous updates includes:
- This update improves the time to power ON the device, after downloading the application "Smart Remote Control" of the "PlayMemories Apps".
Confirm the system software version of your camera
Note: This update is only for ILCE-5100 cameras that currently have a system software Version 1.10 or earlier. If the version is displayed as 3.10, you do not need to update the system software.
- Select Menu > Setup (5) > Version on the camera.
- The system software version is displayed.
- Windows 10
- Windows 7
- Windows 8 32bit
- Windows 8 64bit
- When performing the system software update, please use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50 or the AC adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately)
- Do not remove the battery or AC adaptor during the update; otherwise, the camera may become inoperable due to the sudden power shutdown
- Remove the memory card from the camera beforehand
- Prevent your computer from sleeping beforehand
- Do not be connected to other apparatuses except your computer.
Download the Firmware Updater
- Make sure that you are logged on as a user with administrative rights.
- After reading the disclaimer, click the [Download] button below.
- The download of the [Update_ILCE5100V310.exe] file will start.
- Save the file on your computer.
Note for Windows 8.1 / 10 users:
Under the initial settings of Internet Explorer, the update file will be saved in the [Downloads] folder. Click the [Desktop] tile from the Start screen and find the downloaded file in the [Downloads] folder by using Explorer.
Install the software
- Close all currently running programs on your computer.
- Double-click the [Update_ILCE5100V310.exe] file you downloaded to start up the Firmware Updater. The Firmware Updater window will appear.
- According to the instruction on Firmware Updater,
select Menu > Setup (3) > USB Connection on the camera, and check if Mass Storage is selected.
If the mode other than Mass Storage is selected, please select Mass Storage.
- Connect the camera to the computer with the supplied USB cable. "USB Mode" appears on the LCD screen of the camera.
Note: If the computer cannot find the camera, the message "Could not find the camera for this update." appears on the computer screen. Please try the following:
- Disconnect the USB cable from the camera, then reconnect the USB cable.
- If there is another free USB terminal on the computer, reconnect the USB cable to this terminal.
- Confirm is displayed on the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen.
- After confirming the above, click Next on Firmware Updater.
The screen below appears on Firmware Updater.
Camera’s LCD screen
Note: From this step onwards, never turn off the camera until the system software update is completed.
- Click Next on the Firmware Updater window. The current version and the version after the update appear on the lower left part of the screen. If the current system software version is 3.10 or later, the update is not required. In this case stop the USB connection and click Finish, turn off the camera, remove the battery pack and/or the AC adapter, reinsert the battery or reconnect the AC adapter and turn on the camera.
- Click on the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen to stop the USB connection.
Please keep the USB cable connected even after stopping the USB connection on the computer with the above operation.
- Press the center of the control wheel to execute.
Note: The screen turns off when the center of the control wheel is pressed. Please proceed to the next step.
- Click Next on Firmware Updater.
- After resetting, reconnection of the camera is verified, and the screen below appears.
Click Run to start the update. The progress bar appears while upgrading (approximately 15 minutes).
Note: Never turn off the camera nor disconnect the USB cable while updating.
- When the update is completed, the camera will automatically restart. Make sure the camera is turned on and wait until the LCD screen appears again. Click Finish when the LCD screen appears and disconnect the USB cable.
Note: After automatically restarting of the camera, a restoration screen may be displayed. While it is displayed, please do not disconnect USB cable. And after finishing a restoration, the camera may power off automatically. But the update is completed.
- Follow the instruction to confirm the system software version is Ver.3.10.
Select Menu > Setup (5) > Version on the camera.
The system software version is displayed.