About this download
Thank you for your continued interest in Sony products.
Sony is offering a firmware upgrade program for Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera SLT-A99.
Improvements after firmware upgrade
- Provides support for the Dual AF function compliant lens: SAL50F14Z
- Addition of HDMI simultaneous output mode
In addition to the existing HDMI simultaneous output during movie recording, the camera will be able to display smooth smooth 60fps(NTSC)/50fps(PAL) video on an external monitor connected via HDMI and on the LCD screen of the camera simultaneously also during movie recording standby.
Note: The camera needs to be in Movie mode with [HDMI Info. Display] set to [Off].
Improvements from firmware version 1.00 to version 1.01
- Expanded the number of Dual AF function compliant lenses:
SAL24F20Z, SAL85F14Z, SAL135F18Z, SAL70300G, SAL70200G,
SAL35F14G, SAL1635Z, SAL100M28, SAL50M28, SAL85F28, SAL300F28G, SAL70400G2
- Expanded the number of automatic compensation compliant lenses:
SAL100M28, SAL50M28, SAL85F28, SAL18200, SAL20F28, SAL28F28
Applicable firmware version
- The applicable products are with the firmware Version 1.01 or earlier..
How to check the firmware version
- Select Menu → Setup → Version on the camera.
- The firmware version is displayed.
If your camera firmware version is already Version 1.02, this update is not necessary.
- Mac OS X® v.10.5 – 10.11.
Other system requirements
- CPU: Intel processor
* Core Solo and Core Duo processors are no longer supported.
- Hard disk space: 200MB or more
- RAM: 512MB or more
Note: Please close all other application software before upgrading the firmware.
- USB cable supplied with the camera
Note: Update functionality is not guaranteed with any other USB cable.
- Power source for the camera
Fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FM500H or AC adaptor AC-PW10AM (sold separately).
Note: The upgrade can be performed only when the remaining battery level is (three marks) or more. We recommend that you use a fully charged battery or the AC adaptor AC-PW10AM (sold separately).
- OS X
- Mac OS
- When performing the firmware upgrade, please use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FM500H or the AC adaptor AC-PW10AM (sold separately).
- Do not remove the battery or AC adaptor during the upgrade; otherwise, the camera may become inoperable due to the sudden power shutdown.
- Remove the memory card from the camera beforehand.
- Do not cover Eyepiece sensors during the update; otherwise, the LCD monitor may switch to the Viewfinder. If you can not see anything on the LCD monitor, please press FINDER/LCD button.
Start Firmware Updater
- Download the upgrade file.
Click on Update_SLTA99V102.dmg to begin download.
Please save the downloaded file onto the Desktop of your computer (recommended).
- Start up Firmware Updater.
- Double-click the downloaded file Update_SLTA99V102.dmg.
- Do not connect the camera yet at this point.
- Update_SLTA99V102.dmg is expanded
- Double-click the FirmwareUpdater icon.
- To load a kernel extension, the message prompts you to allow the application to make changes.
Type the password for the administrative account.
- Firmware Updater starts up.
- Check the USB connection mode.
According to the instruction on Firmware Updater, select Menu → Setup → USB Connection on the camera, and confirm Mass Storage is selected.
If the mode other than Mass Storage is selected, please select Mass Storage.
- Click Next on Firmware Updater.
Do not cover Eyepiece sensors during the update; otherwise, the LCD monitor may switch to the Viewfinder. If you can not see anything on the LCD monitor, please press FINDER/LCD button
This screen appears on Firmware Updater.
This screen appears on the LCD screen of the camera.
Note: From this step onwards, never turn off the camera until the firmware upgrade is completed.
- After confirming the screens on Firmware Updater and LCD screen, click Next. The current version and the version after the upgrade appear on the lower left part of the Firmware Updater.
- After confirming Current version, click Next.
Upgrade is required
Note: If Current version is Ver.1.02, the upgrade is not required. According to the message, stop the USB connection and click Finish. Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn on the camera again.
- The screen below appears.
- Press the center of the control wheel to reset the camera.
Camera’s LCD screen
Camera control wheel
Note: The screen turns off when the center of the control wheel is pressed. Please proceed to the next step.
- After resetting, reconnection of the camera is verified.
- Click Run to start the upgrade. The progress bar appears while upgrading (approximately 5 minutes).
Note: Never turn off the camera nor disconnect the USB cable while upgrading.
- When the upgrade is completed, click Finish and disconnect the USB cable.
- Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn on the camera again.
Check the firmware version
- Select Menu → Setup → Version on the camera.
- The firmware version is displayed. The firmware upgrade was completed successfully if Ver.1.02 is displayed.