About this download
Thank you for your continued interest in Sony products.
Sony is offering a firmware update for Digital Still Camera Cyber-Shot™ DSC-HX20V.
This update resolves the issue where on-screen directional display during shooting and directional data recorded in the data of the image is shifted by 90 degrees with respect to the correct direction.
Distinction method of the target product
Please confirm the serial number of your camera
Note: There might be some cases where the update is not applicable even if the serial number is included in the range above.
Compatible Operating Systems
- Windows XP* SP
- Windows Vista** SP2
- Windows 7 SP1
* 64-bit and Starter editions are not supported.
** Starter edition is not supported.
- Hard disk space: 200MB or more
- RAM: 512MB or more
Things to be prepared
- Fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-BG1 (supplied)
- Micro USB cable (supplied)
Important notes before updating firmware:
- Please close all other application software before updating the firmware.
- While performing the firmware update, use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-BG1.
- To turn off the “USB Power Supply”, select MENU → Settings → Main Settings → USB Power Supply on the camera and set to Off.
- Do not remove the battery during the update; otherwise, the camera may become inoperable due to the sudden power shutdown.
- Remove the memory card from the camera beforehand.
- After the update is finished, it will go back to the default settings. (However, the image data in internal memory will not be erased.)
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
Step 1: Download the firmware updater
- Download the updater file named as Update_DSCHX20VV101.exe. Use of this update file is subject to the DSC-HX20V End User License Agreement.
- Save the file to the desktop of your computer (recommended).
Step 2: Start up the Firmware Updater
- Close all currently running programs on your computer.
- Double-click the Update_DSCHX20VV101.exe file you downloaded to start up the Firmware Updater.(Figure 1)
According to the instruction on the Firmware Updater window, select MENU → Settings → Main Settings → USB Connect Setting on the camera, and check if Mass Storage is selected.
If another mode than Mass Storage is selected, select Mass Storage.(Figure 2)
Before continuing of the following steps, remove the memory card from the camera if you have not done it yet.
Connect the camera to the computer with the supplied USB cable.
Note: USB Mode appears on the LCD monitor of the camera.
Confirm that the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is displayed on the task tray of the computer screen.
After confirming the above, click Next on the Firmware Updater window. Figure 3 appears on the Firmware Updater window, and Figure 4 appears on the LCD screen of the camera.
Note: From now on, Do not turn off the camera until the firmware update is completed.
After confirming the screens on Figures 3 and 4, click Next. The current version and the version after the update will appear on the lower left part of the screen.(Figure 5)
After confirming Current Version is Ver.1.00, click Next.
If the current version is Ver.1.01, the update is not required. According to the message, stop the USB connection and click Finish. Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack, reinsert the battery and turn on the camera.
Click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen to stop the USB connection, as instructed on Figure 6.
Note: Keep the USB cable connected even after stopping the USB connection on the computer with the above operation.
Press the center of the Control wheel to execute the reset of the camera.
Note: The screen turns off when the center of the Control wheel is pressed. Proceed to the next step.(Figure 7)
Click Next on the Firmware Updater window ( Figure 8 )
After resetting, reconnection of the camera is verified, and the screen on Figure 9 appears.
Click Run to start the update. The progress bar appears while updating (approximately 5 minutes).
Note: Do not turn off the camera or disconnect the USB cable while updating.
When the update is completed, the screen on Figure 10 appears. Click Finish and disconnect the USB cable.
Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack, reinsert the battery and turn on the camera.
Do the initial setup (language, Date & Time, etc.).
Step 3: Confirm the firmware version of your camera is Ver.1.01.
- Select MENU → Settings → Main Settings → Version on the camera.
- The firmware version is displayed as illustrated below.