This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and improvements from the latest update
- "aptX", "aptX HD" Bluetooth codec added
- APE and MQA music formats added
- Shuffle and repeat settings made available from the playback screen
- Auto power off function added to prolong battery life
- Methods of displaying song information increased
- Other functions improved
Previous Benefits and Improvements
- Improved the response when the touch panel is pressed or scrolled
- Addressed issues where the sound was skipping or cutting out under certain conditions
- Addresses a rare issue where characters may become corrupted when Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese contents are displayed
- Addressed the issue where characters in the WALKMAN display appear corrupted when Thai appears in the song titles, etc
- Addressed other issues
- Firmware update 2.00 for NW-WM1A / NW-WM1Z (Windows)
- Version 2.00
- 115 MB (120,773,464 byte)
Check the firmware version
Do I need to download it? This update is not necessary if your Walkman has already been updated to firmware version 2.00 by the automatic firmware update function.
If you're not sure, it's easy to check which version of firmware you have:
- Tap the [Options/Settings] icon, in the bottom right corner of the screen
- Select the [Settings] menu
- Scroll until the bottom and choose the [Unit Information] menu Confirm the Model number and Firmware version
The latest version of the firmware update is compatible with most commonly used versions of Microsoft Windows:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later)
IMPORTANT: Not supported by OSs other than specified above.
Note: [Compatibility mode] Windows 7 is not supported.
Before you upgrade
- After updating, the firmware cannot be reverted to an earlier version.
- Please transfer all data from the unit to the computer, since data which remains on the unit may be lost when upgrading.
We cannot guarantee tracks and data will not be damaged or deleted when performing this update.
- When upgrading, the unit needs to have free space of about 200 MB. Please confirm the amount of free space is sufficient.
- If there is not enough free space in the built-in flash memory, transfer any unnecessary data back to the computer to increase free space.
- Windows 10 user, Windows 8.1 user or Windows 7 user, "Windows needs your permission to continue" message appears in the User Account Control dialogue box. Click [Continue] to proceed, and follow the announcements.
Step 1: Install the update
Make sure to logon as Administrator to your computer
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Download the file to your computer.
- Once the download is complete, connect your Walkman to your computer by USB connection.
- Quit all software running on your computer
- Double click the saved file and follow the on-screen instructions.
Please do not disconnect the unit from the computer during the upgrade.
- When the message indicating the upgrade is complete is displayed, click on [Finish].
Step 2: Check the update was successful
After the update, please confirm the new version has been installed successfully by following the steps in the [Check the firmware version] section.
If the Firmware version shown is “2.00”, the upgrade was successful.